Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Lion of Rora

This summer has been really busy so far at home. There have been numerous home renovation projects I've completed so I could finally focus on my latest project. Since the beginning of May I've been doing research, as time permitted, and collated a three inch binder worth of materials as reference. The project is Lion of Rora, a graphic novel written by Ruth and Christos Gage and will be published by Oni Press. It takes place in 1600s eastern France/northern Italy and is historical fiction about the Waldenses. If you know me, I'm anal-retentive to a fault so the time researching was to make sure it's as historically accurate as I could get and to familiarize myself with the time period and people. Now that I've quite a considerable amount of research done I'm starting the pencil, ink, and tone. I'll be able to post more as time goes on but for now here's a peak at the look and some characters from Lion of Rora. Enjoy!


4 comments:

  1. Nolan these are really great. I love the way character shows through in such subtle poses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant! I love the use of pattern in these. I echo the above statement too. Your kids look a bit like short adults though. Maybe a bit more soft, round cheeks?

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! And I completely agree with you Bollin. I've never been good drawing kids so I'm going to edit those pages and fix him up where needed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. super!
    I think the kids also need smaller hands.

    ReplyDelete