Monday, October 29, 2007

A Year Later

A year+4 days ago I moved to ATL from Portland, OR (PDX). It was a major risk. I was on my way to make well over six figures and was getting steady work both in advertising and freelance illustration. I had more financial security than most people will know. Even my friends were the best of people. I was surrounded by lovely hearts and brilliant minds. But through it all, none of it was enough. So I left.

The dust has settled and you know what? Those friends are still my friends and still brilliant, lovely people! Plus, now I'm surrounded by new friends too! My job? The pay cut I took was worth the happiness I've gained. I'm not saying it's perfect. Oh, hell no. But I am happier here by far. I fit here. I was even able to afford a little home. My freelance life has blossomed and I could not ask for better clients. I'm living the dream!

But better yet? My lady. Never in another million years of dating in PDX would I have found a woman of her caliber, humor, intellect, and heart. (And she's a hot tamale to boot!) If having a wonderful career-life is "the dream" then I'm not sure how to express how fantastic she is since she eclipses all other happiness no matter how great they may seem. Dear lord, she even baked me cookies tonight!

Overall, moving here was the best thing I could have ever done. PDX was good to me but it was never home. I found home and my place in the world here in ATL.

Life is good.

2 comments:

  1. Spending all that time "buying a house," and "having a nice lady friend," and "having a good time," and "having a fun job," and the rest.

    that's real nice... now when can you do that work for me?

    Seriously, I'm glad you're happy. Couldn't happen to a better guy. Well, actually... the orphans down the street could use some of that happiness, yo.

    ReplyDelete

 
Do not repost my work without permission. All content herein is copyright and/or trademark to its appropriate owner(s).